I was thinking about which whitening product to review next and decided that something inexpensive and readily available would be great.
I am still seeing ads for charcoal toothpastes all over the internet. This home teeth whitening review will be about Charcoal Toothpastes that you can find readily online in Canada and the U.S.A.
- Product: Charcoal Toothpaste
- Availability: Easily located in Canada, U.S.A., Australia, UK, New Zealand
- Cost: $10-$30 (Canadian Dollars)
- Review: 8/10
How Does It Work?
All charcoal toothpastes work in the same way if they are made with activated charcoal.
Activated charcoal will bind to things that are stuck to your teeth and the abrasive nature of the charcoal will help to scrub it off and send it down the drain.
Charcoal is great at removing plaque, tartar and stains from things like wine, smoking, tea and pop.
How Often And How Should It Be Used?
Charcoal toothpaste is not an everyday, twice a day thing like your normal toothpaste. Some package instructions will advise this but I caution against it as they can be incredibly abrasive.
It is meant to be used regularly to keep stains away but this may be anywhere from a few times a weel to weekly or monthly, depending on your habits.
This toothpaste can be abrasive so it should be used with an extra soft toothbrush or with your fingertips. Do NOT scrub your teeth with charcoal toothpaste as this can cause excessive wear of your enamel.
I have spoken to many people that have used these products and they unanimously state that it is a VERY MESSY process. The black charcoal powder can stain countertops and tends to get everywhere. Be careful where you use this product to avoid major clean-up.
What Are Its Limitations?
As I stated above, charcoal toothpastes are great at removing things that are stuck to your teeth.
They are not good at changing the natural colour of your teeth – you will need a chemical agent to change that.
Many people are unhappy with the colour of their teeth and will be pleased with the results they achieve using charcoal toothpastes. If you try one of these products and still want whiter teeth, you will need to try something more powerful.
Click HERE to read about all of the options for at-home teeth whitening to see which is right for you.
Charcoal Toothpastes in Canada
I have listed below a number of very highly reviewed charcoal toothpastes available for purchase in Canada.
- 1778 reviews on amazon.ca with rating of 4.3/5 stars
- Reviewers seem very happy with results
- Priced at $16.99 for a 6 month supply
- 46 reviews on amazon.ca with rating of 4.7/5 stars
- Users love the minty taste
- Priced at only $16.99 for >6 month supply
- 14 reviews on amazon.ca with a rating of 4.4/5 stars
- Powder is very fine and has alternate uses such as facial scrubs and soap
- Priced at only $19.99 for a year’s supply
Charcoal Toothpastes in the United States
I have listed below a number of very highly reviewed charcoal toothpastes available for purchase in the U.S.A.
- 17,204 reviews on amazon.com with a rating of 4.3/5 stars
- Users like the results and many recommend doing this in the shower
- Priced at $19.99
- 1415 reviews on amazon.com with a rating of 4.3/5 stars
- Users enjoy the taste and say it is not too gritty
- Priced at $12.99
- 277 reviews on amazon.com with a rating of 4.5/5 stars
- This raw powder has many advertised uses
- Priced at $14.20
My rating of 8/10 comes from the fact that activated charcoal powders can only remove surface stain. There is also the potential of harm to the enamel on your teeth if you are not careful.
I still see value in trying them if surface stain is a problem for you…simply exercise caution and consult with your family dentist if you have questions.
Please comment below if you have used a charcoal toothpaste that you have loved or hated.